Nowadays the palace is located on the ancient "Assunta" block delimited by Bogino, Giolitti, Carlo Alberto and Maria Vittoria streets.
The original nucleus of the building - Count Flaminio Antonio Ripa di Giaglione's property – date back to 1675. The present garden area is added three years after.
In 1685 the complex passes to Dal Pozzo della Cisterna family who enriches and embellishes progressively the structure.
Many restructuring and amplification works, projected by the royal architect Francesco Valeriano Dellala di Beinasco, started from the second half of the 1700 and concluded under prince-patron Giuseppe Alfonso; so the west sleeve is remodelled and the front is arranged, a new stable is built.
Skilful artisans and craftsmen execute decorations in wood, stucco and iron.
The palace is a good example of Piedmonts Baroque, findable nowadays on the sober Via Maria Vittoria façade.
In the years between the end of 1700 and the first decades of 1800 the life of the palace slows down and starts again in 1867 following the marriage between Maria Vittoria, daughter of Carlo Emanuele della Cisterna, and Amedeo di Savoia, Duke of Aosta.
The palace becomes a representative house, very magnificent: new rooms are added, coffered ceiling are realized, polychrome glazed are placed, gildings and silken tapestries are applied. After the Princess Maria Vittoria's dead, by will of her husband Amedeo d'Aosta, the work in the palace continues. Was approved the project for the construction of the railing that surrounding the garden on Via Carlo Alberto (which replaced the old boundary wall) and the project of the reconstruction of the great representation staircase.
Always from this period are some technological improvements, like the gas lighting in the hall and the work of raising the terrace between the main courtyard and garden. In the following years were made minor interventions only.
In August 1940 the Savoia Aosta family sells the complex to the Provincia di Torino (now Città metropolitana) becoming its official headquarters in 1945.
The Città metropolitana di Torino takes possession of "a proper place that meeting the needs" and, at the same time, ensures "the possession of a palace that recalls memories dear to the heart of every Italian and in particular of the Piedmont people".
Over the years will follow other restoration operations and some adjustment to the public use; always in the full respect of the historic value of the palace.